Chaga is a fungus that grows mainly on birch trees in cold climate regions. Although this is not the most appealing mushroom you will see, it is packed with numerous health-benefiting components such as vitamins and minerals. In this regard, Chaga mushroom has remained at the top of the functional mushrooms list. Formulating Chaga mushrooms into a tea gives you these wonderful nutrients as the hot water breaks down the cell for easier access.
What is Chaga Mushroom tea and how is it brewed?
Chaga mushroom tea is generally tea made from Chaga fungus. The Chaga mushroom used in tea can be raw, powdered, or in dried chunks. Chaga Tea has a long history, especially for the Russians who traditionally used it as a daily beverage to prevent the occurrence of many diseases.
Tao Chaga Wild Harvest Canadian Chaga Mushroom (Inonotus obliquus) Chunk – 1 lb (454 g)
Chaga Tea is very easy to prepare.
Let’s discuss the three main methods used to brew Chaga tea.
Method 1 – Chaga Tea
This is the fastest and easiest method used by not only beginners, but also experienced Chaga tea brewers. With this method all you need is a cup with a filter where you will add powdered Chaga. You then pour water into the Chaga and cover the cup for a few minutes to let the tea steep. You can drink the tea in this form or add flavoring agents and sweeteners such as honey or sugar.
Maine Chaga Fine Mushroom Powder, No Pesticides, Wild Harvested, Not Cultured, 4oz, NOT an Extract But Whole Raw Chaga, Woman-Owned, Small Business
Method 2 – Chaga chilled tea
This makes a nice chilled beverage that will quench your thirst during those warm summer days as well as benefit you health wise. Chaga chilled tea is the perfect beverage to refresh your taste buds during the summer. To make this tea, you can follow the method above and cool the tea before drinking. Put it in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours to achieve a reasonably cold drink. Add ice to make it cooler.
Chaga Mushroom Tea – Organic Herbs – 18 Sachets Bleach Free Tea Bags From Buddha Teas (1 PACK)
Method 3 – Chaga pot tea
If you want to access all the nutrients in the Chaga mushroom, this is the perfect brewing method to use. With this method you put chaga chunks in a wide-bottomed pot, add water and bring it to a boil. Let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes and then withdraw from the heat and leave to cool. You can drink this dark-brown tea as it is or again ad sweeteners. The boiling water’s heat significantly breaks the chitin making up the cell wall of the mushroom availing all the wonderful nutrients inside.
HwaGui – Glass Teapot with Removable Infuser & Lid,Stovetop Safe Glass Tea Pot for Blooming and Loose Leaf Tea Maker(1200ml/40oz)
Chaga Tea Benefits
- Boosts brain function – research findings have shown that drinking Chaga mushroom tea can protect the brain cells and boost most of their functions, including memory and cognitive abilities
- Lowers cholesterol – some components in chaga have shown positive results in breaking down cholesterol in the body. Remember that if cholesterol is reduced, you are not as prone to many cardiovascular problems.
- Improves digestion – Chaga tea enhances the production of digestive enzymes for proper digestion. Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties also protect the digestive tract from damage by foreign materials.
- Boost the immunity – the nutrients and vitamins such as vitamin B and D in chaga tea work synergistically to boost your immune system.
- It is an anti-inflammatory – The Chaga mushroom has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. This property was used even in the past to treat a number of ailments.
- Potential anti-cancer – although studies are continuing to verify this property fully, previous studies have shown that drinking Chaga mushroom tea can help activate immune cells that fight cancer.
The bottom line
Chaga mushroom is such an incredible fungus proving to be a very powerful natural medicine. Now that you know that you have the freedom to flavor this tea as long as the main ingredient is incorporated, you can try it with different recipes to see how it will work for you. With the numerous purported and proven health benefits of chaga tea, this beverage should always be in the list of your favorite beverages.
#camping #travel #vanlife #offgridliving #offgridcabinliving #offgridcbin #nature #hiking #bushcraft #nomad #wanderlust #naturephotography #sparring #homestead #survival #tinyhouse #apocalypse #tinyliving #roadtrip #outdoors #tinyhome #minimalism #naturelovers #sustainableliving #offthegrid #camp #travelholic #chagatea #chagamushroom
© 2020, Teresa. All rights reserved.